Friday, February 19, 2016

911 on 217



911 on 217
O. Kris Widmer
copyright 2016

While in line
at the cell-phone store,
she calls us for help
without knowing the number.

“I was living independently,
Then, I met him at church.
He pursued me for a year.
Wouldn’t take “No” for an answer.
I had no backbone.
He wore me down.
Now, he cheapens me,
Demeans me, I mean.
We have this daughter.”

I’m purchase a flip phone for our
Tech-challenged mother,
While my sister tracks her down, outside.
She dangles cash, hoping it will help.

The caller takes it,
            then walks away.


-
3WW Week No. 466

Backbone, noun: spine, spinal column, vertebral column, vertebrae; back, mainstay, cornerstone, foundation, chief support, buttress, pillar, tower of strength, strength of character, strength of will, firmness, resolution, resolve, determination, fortitude, pluck, pluckiness, nerve, courage, mettle, spirit, moral fiber, guts, spunk, grit, true grit.

Cheapen, verb: demean, debase, degrade, lower, humble, devalue, abase, discredit, disgrace, dishonor, shame, humiliate, mortify, prostitute, reduce, lower (in price), cut, mark down, discount, slash.

Dangle, verb: hang (down), droop, swing, sway, wave, trail, stream, wave, swing, jiggle, brandish, flourish, offer, hold out; entice someone with, tempt someone with.


No comments:

Eunice Widmer: The Umbrella

  Eunice Mae Olson Widmer is dead. Long live (the memory) of Eunice M. Widmer   My mother, Eunice Mae Olson Widmer, has come back as an umbr...